Lighthouse Point is a small town that wishes to remain a small town. The leisurely tropical lifestyle appeals to its residents and they have no need to be concerned about future expansion. Tucked in among many other communities, between the Intracoastal Waterway and Federal Highway, it cannot expand. Any worry about the threat of amalgamation into a larger entity is being diminished by preserving city certification. Through providing full service and continuing to work closely with the Florida and Broward Leagues of Cities and other appropriate government agencies, the City is optimistic for the future.
Characterized by informal affluence and a leisurely pace, the attractive neighborhoods are quiet, tree shaded, interlaced with 18 miles of waterways. Of the residences, 80% are single family homes, many of those waterfront with private no fixed bridges, ocean access docks.
The east door of Lighthouse Point opens to the Intracoastal Waterway, sitting under the beam of the famed Hillsboro Lighthouse which has stood constant guard over the Hillsboro Inlet since 1906 and for which the City is named. Federal Highway, with its shopping centers, restaurants, and other business establishments, is the west door. Approximately 20 acres of parks and mini-parks and 13 miles of sidewalks/bike paths symbolize the nature of community life. Streets wind and twist and there are many cul-de-sacs.
Incorporated in 1956, the City has few remaining vacant lots today. Better than 95% of the City is developed and most homes fall into the upper-medium and top-price range.
Police and fire protection are excellent and the City successfully operates its own library. Recreation amenities include the Lighthouse Point Tennis Center and Dan Witt Park for playing sports, in addition to natural environment parks and mini-parks.
For young and old alike, Lighthouse Point provides the friendly atmosphere of a self-sufficient, prosperous, and proud Community.
History of Lighthouse Point
Once mangrove swamp and farmland, Miss Juliette Becker built the first home in 1947 on the southeast corner of Sample Road and NE 21st Avenue. Four years later, in 1951, acreage was acquired for development by R. E. Batemen. In 1951 the first home in a new subdivision called Hillsboro Isles was completed. On December 23, 1953, the first baby, Cynthia Ann Wright, was born to "Lighthouse Point" parents.
A civic association was formed in October, 1953, and by early 1954 residents of the new community met to decide whether to remain status quo, be annexed by the City of Pompano Beach, or incorporate as a separate entity. On June 13, 1956, 107 of the approximately 600 residents voted to incorporate and the Town of Lighthouse Point was born. City Hall operated from a store front at 1811 NE 24th Street, and fire protection was provided by Pompano Beach Highlands volunteers. Court was held Saturday mornings, when necessary and town meetings were held every second week. In June 1957, Lighthouse Point received its state charter and officially became a City. City Hall was built at 22nd Avenue and 38th Street in 1959, and by the early 60s the Lighthouse Point was able to employ a fire chief and 10 reserve firefighters. In 1965 a building was constructed across from City Hall to hold both the police and fire departments.
Subdivisions of Venetian Isles, Lighthouse Manor and Wooler Heights were added between 1957 and 1969. In 1970, after approval from Tallahassee and referendum of the people, the Coral Key and Pompano Waterway Estates areas officially became part of Lighthouse Point, increasing its land area to 2.36 square miles and population to nearly 9,500.
Lighthouse Point is also home to a historic landmark, Cap's Place, located on an island which can be reached only by motor launch. The oldest restaurant in Broward County, in 1928 Albert Hasis and Eugene Theodore "Cap" Knight (a rum-runner who owned a nearby store and restaurant since 1920) beached a dredging barge on a tiny peninsula in the Hillsboro Inlet, upon which they built a ramshackle restaurant. Officially named Club Unique, it was always known as "Cap's Place." Until 1953 it was accessible only by water. Customers had to drive to Hillsboro Beach, flash their headlights, and an employee would come over in a small boat, row them over to the restaurant.
Though a rustic setting Cap's Place featured extremely fresh seafood, with a dinner menu of snapper, pompano, Spanish mackerel, shrimp and fried oysters. No alcohol was served at the classy Hillsboro Club on the other side of the Intracoastal, so many patronized Cap's Place for drinking, and eventually gambling. Among the notables who have dined at Cap's were Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts, Errol Flynn, Meyer Lansky, Al Capone, Gloria Swanson, Casey Stengel, and George Harrison.
Lighthouse Point Real Estate Agent